Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2011

out to eat

This past Friday night we went out to dinner at (the only restaurant we ever go to) Papa's Grill.  Ethan usually has a great time: flirting with his favorite waitress, looking around at all the people, and partaking in general merrymaking.  This Friday was just a little bit different.


Ethan was a bit fussy before we left.  But, I was determined not to cook and thus I convinced myself (and Corey) that he was just hungry.  And we were going to feed him at dinner, so all would be great (or would it?).  Corey reluctantly agreed to go. 

We got the the restaurant without our trusty highchair cover.  The cover has some features that (are supposed to) entertain Ethan but it also pads the highchair and takes out some of the space so Ethan is more secured.  But I forgot it at home.  My bad.  Very bad.  Without the cover Ethan actually stood up in the high chair at one point and a few times was turned completely around within his high chair ready to fall at any second.


The restaurant was crowded so we were seated at a very small table.  I realize that we are only 2 plus a baby, but we need a space that seats 12 in order to keep Ethan out of everything on the table.  A table for 4 would have worked perfectly.  Corey and I tried scooting everything into our 10 cm x 10 cm of eating space, but it didn't work.  Ethan got the knives and the forks, and when we tried to get them back he threw a bit of a fit.  He also hooked, lined, and sinkered a tall and completely full water glass with ice that proceeded to go everywhere.  With the crowd, the last thing on Ethan's mind was eating .. but as I mentioned before he was hungry.  I was trying to feed him but he was successful at not eating, and all I have to show for it are my stained pants. 

This was the view most of the evening - Ethan was intrigued by all the people!  Corey and I were a little dull I guess.  Ms. Manners might not approve of everyone doing this at a dinner party.  But this behavior is acceptable for a 1 year old.


As soon as I could, I took Ethan out to the car and we waited for Corey to pay the check.  Our waitress got a big tip since it probably took 15 minutes to clean up after we left.  And, just for the record, Ethan was a perfect angel as soon as we left the restaurant.  Go figure.

Corey was right.  We should have stayed home.  I will listen next time (or probably not).

There was one redeeming quality to the evening - I saw my BFF from high school Megan and her family!!  Hi Chelsea!!  I always love seeing Williams crew!  As we were leaving the parking lot, I rolled down my window and told Megan that we wouldn't be seen in public again for a few years.  She promised me it gets better.  I am holding out hope that it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment