Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

maternity leave

It's so sad that my maternity leave is coming to an end.  Just one week left.  But, Morgan will be 15 weeks old when I go back to work!  I was so lucky to get this much time.  I have loved (most) every second of being home!  The weather has been great so I have been able to take lots of walks with Morgan (and Ethan) thanks to my mom willing to walk with me all the time (it's much more fun to walk with her and it motivates me to get outside!!).  So, instead of being sad about going back to work I must instead just be so happy that I had such a great time off with her (and wow I got to take a lot of time!!).

And now to keep it (really) real, a pic of what I love doing while home! 


So I need to start thinking about showering before 7AM everyday (that hasn't happened since mid December!!!), trading yoga pants (which I don't do yoga in) for high heels (I should practice walking in them).  I also have to re-learn how to put on makeup (3 months is a long time to not do something and I don't really remember how to use eye liner).  Ey yi yi.  Those are just little things.  I also have to get used to not being with Miss Morgan 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  The great news is that my mom will be watching her for some time when I go back.  So, while I transition back to work I don't also have to transition to getting used to daycare or someone else who will watch her (she will go to Ethan's daycare in August and we have a few college babysitters for her during the summer after my mom watches her for about 3 weeks).

While I know every baby is different, there are a few differences between Ethan and Morgan's transition for me.  With Ethan we were moving houses!!  We were living with my parents for a few weeks while we got new carpet, paint, and worked on cleaning the rest of the house.  So we were living out of suitcases trying to move things into a new house.  I also was in two very work intensive MBA classes (the one C I got in a class was on an accounting test while we were living at my parents trying to move - it wasn't my best classroom moment!).  With Morgan we are DONE with home remodels of our choice and we aren't moving.  Things at home are quieter.  One of the biggest deliverables for the MBA program happens today at 1PM when we present our final project to IU and Cummins (wish me luck!).  Once that's over, I still have two classes I am currently in but there are no tests (just papers - which are much easier for me to do than study for tests).  The harder part with Morgan will be trying to figure out how to be a nursing mother while not at home with her all day (at this time Ethan was on bottles versus Morgan only having had 2 bottles total in the past 2.5 months - those were when I was gone from her for more than an hour).  Also, I think it's just harder with 2 period.  With Ethan there were 2 of us to help with night time things.  Now, we have double the work (getting dinner, getting to bed, and getting ready for the next day) with the same amount of hands.  We will find a way I am sure, but it's still going to take a bit of time to transition.  Oh and there's the sleepiness associated with small babies.  HELLO caffeine you will be my friend for the next several months.  Don't let me down!

So, although I am sad to have things change, I am happy to have been able to stay home with Morgan for such a long time and it was so much fun getting to know her and bond with her.  I cannot believe she will be eating cereal in just a few weeks and rolling over and sitting up soon - amazing!  It will be fun to see what is to come.

2 comments:

  1. Luckily I am bringing your caffeine supply with me this weekend. Well if I remember to put it in the car.

    ReplyDelete