Pages

Thursday, July 14, 2011

the bartholomew county fair

It's fair time in Columbus, IN!!  And it's big time at the Bartholomew County fair.  I really hate the fair.  I hate the food, the heat (and fairs are always hot), the crowds of people, the smell - I could really go on and on.  BUT, I did like the fair when I was a kid. And just because I really dislike it now, I still wanted Ethan to experience the fair and have some fun.  We went before the carnies were out - and we went before we had to even pay for parking.  A Sunday morning at 11 AM - no one was there except the animals and their owners.  It was perfect for me.  As good as the fair can be.


We just wanted to show Ethan the animals.  The first exhibit we came to were the chickens, roosters, and turkeys.  Corey thought we might get bird flu, so we passed on to the next exhibit - the livestock.  What does a piggy say??  Oink, Oink, Oink.



All of the pigs were sleeping.  We saw someone who works with Corey, and she said that because it was weigh in day, they got all the pigs up early to feed them and let them drink a LOT of food before the weigh in, and they were so tired they needed a nap.  I can relate - I can always use a good nap after a good meal!  I suppose this was the swine version of Thanksgiving.

Then it was on to the cows.  Because Ethan can say "Moooo"!  OK it's really more of a "MMMMM", but it's in response to seeing a cow or being asked "What sound does a cow make?".  So we thought he would really like the cows.  Based on this below picture, I think he just thought that the cows smelled.


Then we saw a little boy with a baby goat.  The little guy asked if Ethan wanted to pet the goat.  That was so sweet - but you can imagine what Corey said to that.  No thanks.  We wouldn't be able to give Ethan enough baths for the next year to counteract his petting a goat if it would have been allowed to happen.


By this time Ethan was a little tired, and Corey's hand was right there when he was yawning to make sure that he didn't inhale any cow manure that might be swimming through the air.  What a good daddy!! :)


And then it was time to go.  The fair was over for the Trobaughs.  And it only lasted 15 or 20 minutes - perfect timing!  Long enough to smell the fair, short enough to not get so dirty we needed showers.


See you again next year at the fair!

1 comment:

  1. I share your disdain for the fair. Jon took the boys early one day this week just to avoid the chaos. :)

    ReplyDelete